Tuesday, March 28, 2017

The Filming (In LA)

I am in Southern California right now on a national competition for tv production, and I need to film the first section of my opening. The goal is to film simple events or activities to make it look like the character has a pretty solid and active life. I want the audience to feel that things are good, until the "memories" turn bad. Even though each "memory" will only be up for a second, I will probably take a 5-6 second video for each activity just to give me variety and a choice. Over the next couple days I'll film some activities from a POV angle with my phone (I can't carry around a camera everywhere I go and it will be easy to get certain activities, like eating or walking). Today I filmed a couple things.
We stopped at In N Out Burger and I filmed me drinking from a straw with someone (from waist to neck). It is an everyday activity, but it also shows that the character has someone to eat with it. This was actually funny but the actor in the opening, Alec, was the guy sitting across from me so I made sure I didn't get his face because it was technically from his point-of-view as the character. 

When we got to the hotel, my friend and I were walking around and we found a steep stairway. I recorded the camera looking down at it. Hopefully, I can use this towards the end of the memory sequence as bad memories start flooding in. I want to use this clip as a way of showing the loneliness that the character feels and to portray a downward spiral, literally and figuratively. According to https://reelclub.wordpress.com, stairs going down can reflect negativity and depression, which is what the character starts to feel before he "wakes up". 

The third thing I filmed today was a dinner with some people. Like the drinking scene, Alec was in the shot so I asked him to move. This scene shows that the character does have friends and is active in that he went out to dinner with them. This can suggest that he is very well-liked and outgoing, or at least enough so that he gets invited to dinner.

In the next few days while I'm here, I'll hope to get some more shots that depict how good the character's life is and how he starts to view it in a negative way. Being in LA and Anaheim, there should be a to of opportunities to film easily and quickly. Also, I tried to put a couple of the clips again but for some reason they still will not show. Thanks Blogger. 

"Stepping on Symbols: Staircases and Symbolism in THE VIRGIN SUICIDES." Reel Club. N.p., 17 Mar. 2013. Web. 28 Mar. 2017.


No comments:

Post a Comment